Tissue Tek O.C.T. Compound
Tissue-Tek OCT Compound, 125 ml bottle
Tissue-Tek® OCT Cryoincorporation Compound (Compound 4583) is a water-soluble blend of PVA, glycols, and resins that provides a stable matrix around specimens for cryostat cutting of tissue at temperatures of -10 ° C and below. Tissue-Tek is a gel at room temperature but solidifies at -10 ° C or below. It can be easily removed with water and/or alcohol at room temperature.
Although originally developed and optimized for cryostat cutting in pathology laboratories, the Tissue-Tek OCT inclusion compound is also an excellent mounting medium for use with cryo-SEM, cryo-FIB / SEM, and other cold stages (e.g., from Quorum, Leica, Gatan). Tissue-Tek OCT compound is a non-conductive material by nature, but conductivity can be introduced by mixing it with carbon powder or colloidal graphite for cryo-SEM applications.
The features and benefits of the Tissue-Tek OCT inclusion compound are:
- The water-soluble mixture of glycols and resins provides a stable scale matrix
- Superior section quality at cryostat temperatures of -10 ° C to -40 ° C
- Highly soluble in water, alcohol, and formalin.
- Good sectioning properties with disposable cryostat blades and solid blades
- Leaves no residue on slides during staining procedures, eliminating undesirable background stains.
- OCT compound mounted tissue can be frozen between -10 ° C and -80 ° C
- An ideal mounting medium for cryo-SEM, cryo-FIB / SEM, and other cold stages